Thursday, July 21, 2011

The Summer Tree 07/19/01

Subject:  The Summer Tree
Date: July 19, 2001

The first post card addressed to "The Summer Tree" Box 165
Bryn Athyn,Pa 19009 arrived today and was duly set in a place
of honor on the aforementioned tree. It is a picture of the
White House with a lovely note from Suzanne Synnestvedt.

It brought so many happy thoughts to mind, including memories
of Suzanne - a very outspoken, forthright woman - and her
family and memories of Washington.
 
Elsa came into my room tonight and said, "I think that the
first postcard would make for a good posting." I agreed.
Then, she looked at me and asked, "What does thinking about
Washington bring to mind?"

Well, I could feel my breath coming in shorter, tenser spurts
and sense tautness in my body.

Why do I tend to tense up when asked an open-ended question?

Elsa seemed to sense my response and asked about something
more specific ~ "What was your most memorable visit to the
White House?"
 
In that moment, my breathing slowed down and stretched itself
out, as my body relaxed.

I was back almost thirty years ago, to when a group of us lead
by Margit Rohtla had gone down to our nation's capital to march
during Captive Nations Week, protesting US trade with communist
countries, especially with the Soviet Union and the nations it
held captive behind the Iron Curtain.

It was a wide range of ages who were marching, from young women
to oldsters such as myself (I was over sixty). As I was walking
back and forth and back and forth in front of the White House,
one of the young ladies in our group beckoned to me to come over
to where she was sitting on a low wall.

"Mrs. Lockhart," she said, "You are over twice my age but I am
worn out and you are still soldiering on. How do you do it?"

I knew the difference and it did not have anything to do with
being a tough old bird.

"Look at our shoes," I said.

She did and broke into a big smile of understanding - there she
was, in fashionable high heels and there I was, in my sensible
orthopedic clod hoppers.
 
As they did with all protestors, there were several of Washington,
D.C.'s Finest on horseback to help protect us from hecklers or
other people who might wish to do us harm. I can still see one
police officer who looked down and told us, with a big smile of
his own, "We are called upon to protect many different groups.
This is the first time I can honestly consider it an honor."
 
So many memories from one post card.  I wish I could tell Suzanne
how much it means to me. If anyone out there has her mailing or
e-mail address, would you please send it to me.
 
Feeling thirty years younger as I get ready to head up
the wooden hill - Gockers
 

No comments:

Post a Comment