Monday, May 24, 2010

AMAZING GRACE 02/27/00

Subj: Amazing Grace
Date: 2/27/00 8:53:57 PM Eastern Daylight Time
Elsa came home from church today positively twittering - the young people's choral group had sung one of my favorite songs, "Amazing Grace," immediately after the final hymn and she said it had an especially effective arrangement.

I remember a time about twenty or so years ago, when I was on my way to or from a visit to Australia and stayed for a few days with Marcelite Kline, Tom Kline's mother, who lived in Pasadena. She took me to a Samoan church to hear the beautiful music, which the congregation sang without benefit of books because they knew it so well. She explained that most of the congregants were domestic help in wealthy homes. I was not prepared for how beautifully everyone was dressed - this was their time to give thanks to the Lord and they wanted to do it in style. The singing was glorious, but nothing could have prepared me for hearing "Amazing Grace" sung by their choir - in Samoan. Could it really have been twenty years ago? Seems the blink of an eye.

Nite-nite and God bless ~ Mom/Gocky, Grammie, Grandma L./Nan/Aunt Kay/Kay

reposted in sweet memory of its author, KATHARINE REYNOLDS LOCKHART, by her scribe/daughter, Elsa Lockhart Murphy aka DEEV

No comments:

Post a Comment