Thursday, May 20, 2010

HAPPY THOUGHTS 04/24/00

Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 22:14:46 EDT
Subject: Mindwalkers - Happy thoughts
After a week of processing all the beauty of last weekend - April 14-16 – I am finally able to share some of it. I am glad I waited. I need happy thoughts today.

How many people do you know who get to experience two family weddings on one day - on opposite sides of the world, no less? I did. Peggy & Jack Peddicord (my brother Alpha's daughter & her very good looking husband), Mim and John & Elsa and I gathered in my hotel room to watch the video of Scott & Kimberly's 22/1/2000 (as they would put it "Down Under") wedding on Sydney Harbour.

Mike & Kerry had the video shot for my enjoyment. The first shots were of Mike & Kerry leaving "Bryn Athyn" – which is what the people who built the house many, many years ago called it - for the wedding bus that took the Penshurst crowd to the ship. Mike looked sharp in his tux and Kerry looked "not half bad." I got a big kick out of watching the various people boarding the ship - where Scott greeted them - and seeing which ones I could recognize.

Kimberly and her three attendants - including my granddaughter Karen - boarded the ship at the Opera House, which served as backdrop to the wedding. Kimberly looked radiant and very happy. As for Karen, the little girl I knew is now a stylish woman.

I have so many thoughts about the wedding, which Dave Ayers officiated at, with the Australian flag billowing in the breeze behind him. A few tears were shed when I saw that. The Southern Cross.

Special moments that stand out include watching Mike serve as his son's best man. That brought a few more tears. Watching Scott looking at Kimberly as he said his vows meant another wet tissue, as did the blessing.

Everyone got into the act when it came to speeches at the reception. Mike lead off, followed by Kerry, the Turners, Scott and Kimberly. I even put my oar in, as Carolyn Heldon read a message from myself to the newlyweds and one from John & Elsa. A particularly moving moment for me was when Kimberly's parents spoke. Mrs. Turner - who looks younger than any of my children - managed a few words before happily burying her face on her equally young-looking husband's shoulder. When he welcomed Scott to the family, saying, "What's mine is yours," I just wanted to throw my arms around both of them in welcome. I would have looked pretty funny, wouldn't I, hugging a television set?!

It meant a lot to me to watch the video with Mim and Peggy & Jack and John & Elsa. Blessings on whoever made the tape.


If anyone would care to see a few snapshots, just stop on by anytime. This loving Nan would be delighted to show them off.

Love to one and all - Scott & Kimberly's NAN

(reposted with sweet memories of its author, Katharine Reynolds Lockhart, in celebration of her centenary by her scribe/daughter, Elsa Lockhart Murphy, aka Deev)

No comments:

Post a Comment