Wednesday, August 25, 2010

A MOTHER'S BILL of RIGHTS 06/10/00

Subj: A Mother's Bill of Rights
Date: 6/10/00 9:30:10 PM Eastern Daylight Time

I have read my fair share of books and articles about relationships, personal responsibility and parenting. What with Mother's Day and all, now's a good time to share something from a book by Dr. Charney Herst about enriching and repairing the bond between parents and adult children. Here is Dr. Herst's "Mother's* Bill of Rights"

"I have the right...
> ...to be treated with respect
> ...to control my own life as long as I can
> ...to an explanation of my children's feelings ~ I cannot intuit their thoughts
> ...to be sad or angry without hiding my feelings to protect my children
> ...to say no
> ...to reminisce and be sentimental
> ...to talk to my children about my problems. I do not expect them to provide solutions, just listen
> ...to buy nice things and go places
> ..to my own opinions. I do not expect my children to agree with all of them
> ...to miss my children. It does not mean I want to control them
> ...I have the responsibility to respect each of my children and to grant them the same right I expect for myself."

My thank to Dr. Herst. Blessings on you all - Ma Lockhart

* I think it applies to Dads, too

reposted in sweet memory of its author, KATHARINE REYNOLDS LOCKHART, by her scribe/daughter, Elsa Lockhart Murphy aka Deev, in celebration of the 05/14 centenary of Ma Lockhart's birth

No comments:

Post a Comment