Saturday, August 7, 2010

WIRELESS 08/13/00

Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2000 22:29:13 EDT
Subject: Wireless fall preview 2000 catalogue

Elsa jokes that her generation is stuck in time - so many shows she grew up with are shown daily on cable stations. If she went by the time impression given by TV Guide, she would be back in the ‘60s & ‘70s, walking up Alden Road to school instead of driving to work.

Now, I know how she feels. The newest Wireless catalogue has arrived and I feel like I am a time traveler. There is a fondue pot right out of the '50s. A record turntable that plays 33 1/3 and 45 RPM records. (Do you young folks out there even know what a 45 RPM record is?) A Burma Shave shaving kit, complete with mug, soap and brush. A 1949 Ella Fitzgerald poster. A model of the Memphis Belle. A framed baseball card of Joe DiMaggio and Mickey Mantle. Bubble Christmas lights. Seeing them all makes me feel like a kid of forty.

My favorite item is current. Let me assure you that I love the Serenity Prayer and that it has pulled me through some tough moments. There is, however, a parody on it that made me laugh when I read it. It is the Senility Prayer.

God grant me the senility
to forget the people
I never liked anyway,

The good fortune
to run into the ones I do,

And the eyesight
to tell the difference.

Signed - wisely - ANONYMOUS

With that tweak of the spirit, am up the wooden hill and off to bed -
Retro Grammie

No comments:

Post a Comment