Sunday, August 22, 2010

POO-POOING POSTERITY 05/18/00

Subject: poo-pooing posterity
Date: 5/18/00 10:10:15 PM Eastern Daylight Time

I heard someone at the party refer to my nocturnal postings as "for posterity." I aoubt it - people will little note nor long remember what I have written on these electronic pages.

Why do I write? Because I miss the sense of connection that was as natural as breathing back in my younger days, when all of my neighbors were people I knew going back generations and when I hoof it to the grocery store (at Heath's, then Soneson's Store), to BA post office, my childrens' schools, and even two (2) train stations.

One of my children recently brought to my attention the possibility that most people would not interested in my ramblings. Going one step further, even I know that you may have more e-mail than you know what to do with.

Please do not hesitate asking me to take you off the list, without prejudice, as they say in the courts. You will always be in my heart and that is what matters.

So much for this posterity nonsense. I am enjoying the here & now far too much.

Nite-nite and God bless - CyberGram (as JPR says)


in an unusual digression from the norm, am including some responses to Mom's 5/18 posting...


Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 08:13:36 EDT
Subject: Re: Mindwalkers - poo-pooing posterity
Dear Mrs. Lockhart I check my mail every day now. I love listening to you.

I feel very privileged to be on your list I sometimes feel like a voyeur which comes with the privilege. I have always felt that you are such a wonderful human being, and now to share this stage of your life is a gift that help me to love my grandparents even more.

How I wish my mother was still alive and doing what you are doing now. No one ever thought of it though and so we lost out. you are a wonderful women and I am so pleased to call you my friend. Thank you ME Peggy



From: DJN
Subject: Re: WOMEN: Mindwalkers - poo-pooing posterity
Dear Kay,
I, for one, do not find your stories boring or out of line. And, yes, I hope someone IS keeping hard copies of your messages (privately, of course).

One of our most intriguing and useful sources of information about times gone by are diaries kept by women who never expected anyone would read them. These women certainly did not consider themselves history-writers! But the view of the world at that time is invaluable to our understanding of the reality of that time.

So please don't take me ff your list - I'm prompted to think, to reflect, to enjoy, by your postings.



Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 08:37:14 -0400
From: MYG
Subject: Re: Mindwalkers - poo-pooing posterity
Dear Aunt Kay,
Please do not take me off your e-mail list. I love hearing from you even thought I don't respond very often. I know that Est feels the same way.

Your messages are wonderful! E-mail is a great way to stay in touch even though we are separated by space.

Your party was memorable! May you have many more.

Love,
M & B


Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 10:13:27 -0400
From: GRC
Dear, Dear Grammie Kay--
Every day when I come in to my office and turn on my computer, I wait happily for the latest installment from Mindwalker. For those of us who share your need to connect with the past, these wonderful memories you have are a treasured gift.

I have always believed that those of us who do not have the opportunity to share in the memories and wisdom of our elders are so much the poorer for it. It is part of the Lord's order, that these things be passed on. Thank heavens for email, which makes it so accessible, when we are bound to our homes by work, business, or infirmities.

I love stepping back in time to an earlier Bryn Athyn, an earlier world, with your memories. It satisfies my need to time travel!

It is my sincere hope that the only thing that will stop these wonderful messages will be when Mindwalker makes the Final Journey. Until then, don't hesitate to believe that there are many of us for whom your messages are a wonderful way to start
the day.

Those who don't want to share can just hit the delete button! I doubt there are many of us.

I look forward to your next message. G

No comments:

Post a Comment