Monday, June 20, 2011

Celebrating the 19th - 06/19/01

sorry - so tired yesterday (seem to tire easily these days ~ bother!), didn't repost this 06/19/01 mindwalker1910 e-mail

Subject: Celebrating the 19th
Date: June 19, 2001

Elsa had her monthly get together at Barnes & Noble tonight and she did not get home until almost 10:00 p.m. (tonight, of all nights, the meeting ran late), so the three of us had a late supper (nibbles of left-over chicken kept me from feeling famished) and we did not go to see the church all lit up.

It is hard to believe I did not get to see the church all lit up - I can probably count on one finger how many times I have missed that beautiful sight. It looks so beautiful against the night sky, completely swathed in light, with the beautiful music floating over the night air.

On the other hand, if I had to choose between what happened here last night and seeing the church tonight, there is no contest. I would have picked last night.

In spite of having spent all last week driving from her job to the evening presentations at a polymer clay seminar at Bryn Mawr College, then staying there Saturday-Sunday morning, then back in Bryn Athyn in time to clean up after Contemporary Service (as scheduled) ~~ in spite of all that hustle and bustle, Elsa had a craft workshop here last night - "pretty" cake decorating, in time for today's 19th of June picnic.

It was so interesting to hear the girls’ comments and watch their concentration as they iced the cakes, which they iced the living room coffee table (it was easier for them to work at that lower height than at the kitchen island). They were so tidy, not a speck of icing got on the carpet - that is impressive all by itself. Sitting there in my big chair (the one Brenda calls Stickley-esque), it was a delight to hear them decide which colors to use, then tearing back into the kitchen to whip up the colors and pick the decorating tips.

The young ladies included Gretchen and Brett and Megan. None of them had decorated a cake before and you would never have guessed it. Elsa showed them how to ice the cake and then how to use some of the tips. I enjoy watching her work with children.

When the girls arrived, there were two plain cakes waiting for them. The cakes had been baked in a tube pan, so they were round with a hole in the middle.

Elsa explained that these plain cakes, which looked very plain indeed, were cocoons, and something spectacular and beautiful was waiting to be released. Then she took a cutting knife and cut each cake, right down the middle. Next, she took the halves and flipped them over so the two circular sides were back to back.

"It's a butterfly," she said. It did look like a butterfly!

I think that the girls must have used five or six different colors decorating the two cakes. It amazed me how quickly the girls picked up how to use the decorating tips and cones of icing. The body of the butterfly was a Vienna Finger covered with icing and the antennae were chocolate.

It was hard to see those cakes head out of the house. As I told the girls, I was worried we did not have boxes to put them in - they might fly away.

I enjoyed talking to the Moms when they stopped by to pick up their daughters. I have known Pam since she was a babe, but had never met Kris before. It was great fun talking to the two ladies while Elsa and the girls dashed between the living room and kitchen, finishing up the cakes. When they all left, I noticed how the Moms carried the cakes out as they were an
offering.

In a way they were - an offering of love from Elsa to the girls and the girls to their families. As tired as I was - I was bushed - I hated to see them head out the front door.

Yes, if I had to choose between the two nights, I would have chosen the girls and their Moms and those stunning cakes. What a wonderful way to celebrate the 19th of June.

With love from a tired lady who's about to head up the wooden hill - Ma L'

No comments:

Post a Comment