Friday, June 3, 2011

Rev. Garry Walsh ~ "Arise, shine, for thy light is come"

Subject "Arise, shine for thy light is come." - - Rev. Garry Walsh
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 22:14:19 EDT

I think that Garry was a teenager the first time we met, about 25 years ago. I am not sure how old he is now, so he may have been younger. He was one of the Hurstville society young people. Pat and Brian lived outside of Hurstville, so sometimes I got to see him at church and sometimes I did not, but I saw him enough over the years to get to know him and like him. He is extra-special to me because he is one of Dot Heldon's grandchildren. (Dot is my dearest friend in Australia. We clicked.) Over my first five visits to Australia, I got to watch Garry grow from a young boy to a young man.

Garry was here at college when Mike and Kerry came up from Australia for John and Elsa's wedding in 1989. Garry stopped down to the Woodland Road house on what I recall was their last or one of their last nights here. He had stopped for a brief visit, but we all kept talking and talking and Garry ended up staying for dinner. We had to talk him into it, because he did not want to intrude on a special family celebration - - we were having a "Christmas in September" celebration, with turkey and all the trimmings and even presents - - and we were so glad he stayed. I remember him sitting at the dinner table, telling us that a certain young lady had somewhat caught his eye - Laurel Smith.

A couple years later, John and Elsa and I had the honor of putting on a champagne buffet in honor of Garry and Laurel's upcoming wedding. It was lovely having so many Australian friends and Bryn Athyn friends together for such a happy occasion under my own roof. I also remember how it felt to hear John give the toast to the church for the first time - - he handled it like a pro. It was a very special evening.

Garry and Laurel moved to Australia. I kept tabs of how he was doing through his grandmother and on my own trips Down Under. You could have knocked me over with a feather when I heard he was considering coming up here for Theological School.

Theological School is challenging to single blokes, much less to a man with a wife and young daughter. When they arrived, it seemed like AGES until Garry would become a minister.

They certainly rose to the occasion. It took grit and determination on both Garry and Laurel's part to make his vision of his life's role a reality.

From the moment I woke up this morning, my thoughts were on Garry and his family, including his Mum and Dad. I thought about him arriving at the cathedral and entering the ministers' vestry. I thought about him putting on his white minister's robe and getting ready for the ordination ceremony. I thought about him entering the chancel. I thought about him making his declarations and giving his confession of faith. I thought about him kneeling at the altar railing and about the Bishop placing his hands on Garry's head to give him the "Triple Blessing." I thought about him placing the white stole over Garry's shoulders. I thought about him shaking Garry's hand and welcoming Garry - the Rev. Garry Walsh - to the priesthood of the General Church of the New Jerusalem.

How dearly I wish I could have gone. Elsa couldn't even go, so I could not get a blow by blow review of what happened. I hope there is an audiotape, so I can at least listen to it.

How dearly I wish I could have gone, but I followed it in my mind's eye and in my heart. He feels like one of my own.

All day, I found myself thinking, "Arise, shine, for thy light is come." Garry's light has come and now he is ready to light the way for others. May there be a blessing.

A slightly teary-eyed and very proud - Katharine Reynolds Lockhart

How Mom would have loved being able to watch the ordinations on the Internet!! ~ elm ~

No comments:

Post a Comment