Friday, June 10, 2011

Heavenly 05/08/01

the gramster didn't write a 06/10/01 posting, so am reposting this one - which i didn't have in may - instead...

Subject: Mindwalkers - heavenly
Date: Tue, 8 May 2001 22:23:24 EDT

I want to write about Sunday afternoon before the memory dims. It was a beautiful day, one that felt like it could have been a description in Memorable Relations, an experiencing of Heaven. I think it was because of the pink blossoms that chose that day to drift down to earth, leaving carpets of translucent pink. Do you know what I mean when I say that it looked as if the petals had an inner light? They did.

Of all the places that we saw on a drive, the one that seemed the most other worldly was Sue and Greg Odhner's property. To drive down past Janna and Chuck's and look down the hill and first see the beautiful azaleas to the left of the house, then the cherry or crabapple - I was too awed to tell you which - with its deep carpet of pink petals - - there are not words to describe the beauty of it. As we drove s l o w l y up toward the Elementary School, enjoying the dogwoods and the azaleas and the cherry trees and other beautiful flowers and blossoms.

We headed through Bryn Athyn, down Station Hill, across the tracks, over the bridge, up Fettersmill, turning right onto Terwood. As we started down the "rollercoaster" stretch of the road, I looked to my left. The vast meadow was filled with a beautiful yellow - golden rod? - which also looked lit from within in the late afternoon light, a magnificent sight. We were taken unawares by a flock of ravens which rose from the meadow - the sight of those pitch black birds against the glowing gold, rising up to the blue blue sky ... there are no words.

We turned down Cathedral Road, a short residential street that we rarely take. I thought Elsa had picked it because of the many dogwoods along the route. I thought she was turning dotty when she swung the car into the opposite lane - definitely in the wrong direction - then parked next to someone's lawn. I looked over and saw it - a perfect stand of purple iris, back lit by the late afternoon sun. I cannot describe how they looked, it is beyond me. I felt awed and happy and touched by an intense awareness of the Lord.

"Oh, Lord, Thou made Thy world too beautiful today."

No comments:

Post a Comment