Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Tinka - 06/07/01

Subject: [women] Mindwalkers - Tinka
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 23:47:07 EDT

Last night, as she and John were heading out to pick up some take out food for supper, Elsa made somewhat of a fuss about me calling Ellen Lear from Texas while they were out.

I protested, thinking it would be more interesting for Ellen if they were able to get on the line with her too.

Elsa got a bit testy - as Elsa can - and pointed out that if I waited until they got home, we would probably get sidetracked by supper, then it would be too late and Ellen would not get called until tomorrow, if something did not sidetrack us then. So, as the car was heading down Pheasant Run, this Gramster was dialing Corpus Christi.

When Ellen answered the phone, she did not sound like herself. Not sick, which is what I dreaded hearing and was prepared for, or even tired, but definitely not like herself.

What I was hearing was heartbreak.

Her beloved dachshaund, Tinka, had just then died in her arms.

She had just been thinking that the one person she wanted to talk with was me and there I was, on the phone - remarkable, since I've rarely called Ellen, she usually calls me.

Was it a hunch on Elsa's part that browbeat and badged me to call her right then instead of later or was it something more "cosmic" - I wonder.

Tinka was not a young dog. She was over 10 years old which made her quite an age in dog years. She had not been well for the past few years. Ellen gave her a diabetes shot every day.

It does not matter how long a loved one has been with someone, parting is sad. Tinka was Ellen's great and good, if not very big, comrade through life. Ellen had good and close friends in Texas, but her family was up here, in Philadelphia.

It was Tinka who was always there for Ellen, ready to be fussed over and loved and go out on a walk or just be together. If you saw them together, you would sense they were on the same wavelength. They certainly talked to each other.

Ellen loved Tinka and Tinka loved Ellen.

It is impossible to imagine Ellen's home without her. I am so glad I called. I am so glad that I could be there for Ellen and that she didn't even have to call. I am grateful for whatever spirit nudged Elsa to nudge me to call.

I have been pondering what a difference one phone call made in Ellen's life. It makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

Good night, sweet Tinka - may flights of angels sing you to your rest.

Kay

No comments:

Post a Comment