Sunday, June 5, 2011

Southern Cross Supper 06/05/01

Subject: Mindwalkers - Southern Cross Supper
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 22:08:55 EDT

We had special dinner guests tonight - granddaughter-of-the-heart Carolyn Heldon and her friend, Rob, who are on a summerlong visit from Australia. Oh, it was so good to have Carolyn really and truly just a hug away. I cannot believe it has been three years since she left, it feels like the blink of an eye.

I would share a lot of what we talked about and laughed about and remembered we ate dinner, but it is a tired Gramster who is seeking out the last bit of her energies to get this posting done.

It was a grand night. It was nice to get to know Rob. We talked a lot about his Glover kin - which is understandable, Gretchen and Andrew being so dear to our hearts. It was well into the evening before I thought to ask Rob what his last name was.

"Ridgeway," he replied.

"Well," said I, "I know Ridgeways down in Australia. Barry and Christine and Robert..."

Carolyn stopped me in my tracks with, "Rob IS Robert."

Well, my expression must have been very satisfying to everyone who saw it - drop jawed and stunned amazed. This man was young Robert? It did not seem possible.

In one incredible moment, my universe collapsed inward and young Robert - and all the other young people down in Australia whom I enjoyed so much at church outing - and this man Rob were in the same place at the same time.

I do not know if I showed how swept away by memory and affection and unexpected reacquaintance I was. It was a most remarkable moment. Robert Ridgeway! I am still shaking my head in amazement.

I will be smiling as I sail off tonight to the land of Winken, Blinken and Nod and awareness of the incredible in our lives.

God bless - Grandma
Lockhart

p.s. A belated bon voyage to Gail and Esther, who are winging their way to
England as this is written. I would love to be a fly on the wall around
those two.

No comments:

Post a Comment