Saturday, June 4, 2011

Transfusions and Trvvel - June 1, 2001

Subject: Transfusions and Travel
Date: June 1, 2001

I was as tired last night as I can remember ever being. I had spent the morning and part of the afternoon at Holy Redeemer getting a complete blood transfusion. It took over five hours.

Now, that is tiring just thinking about.

You might not think that it is tiring to stretch out on sort of a Lazy Boy recliner as the blood is replaced, but it is. The blood can even feel cold. Not a relaxing experience, to be sure. My hemaglobin (sp? ) was low, which made me tired all the time, so it needed to be done and I am grateful we live in an age when it could be, but I was glad when it was over.

Because she has already used two-thirds of their 2001 vacation days this year (and not a one for anything fun), Elsa did not take off the day to take me over. Peter did, God bless him. When I got home, John made sure I was comfortable and had whatever I needed. Being taken care of by two men I love - yes, that was something good that came out of getting my circulation system flushed and topped off.

Today - this evening - John and Elsa and I are heading out to Strasburg, PA for the weekend. Work for John, sort of a holiday for me, and Elsa will be splitting her time between the two of us. John had beautiful prints made of his "Susquehanna Afternoon" painting and will be selling them at the Pennsylvania Railroad Museum's "Pennsy Days," which is tomorrow and Sunday.

John likes to have Elsa with him, to keep him company and help talk up his painting, which she does very well. He says she is his PR representative. Their big question was what to do with me. Other years, they could be gone from 6:00 a.m. to the evening without any problem. Last year was the first year I needed help getting into and out of bed, so Elsa stayed home. This year, with the prints, John really wanted her with him, I could tell.

Peter was not available until late at night, so that would not work. Can you imagine what shape I would be in if I had to stay up until after midnight two days in a row?

Then, Elsa suggested to John that staying overnight and that I come too. We will be staying one night right in Strasburg, which is a very nice little town, and one night outside (Elsa could only get one night at the place they like best, which is the place right in town.) Huzzah! We will be off adventuring this weekend.

This is the sort of thing that keeps me lively. I do love going on outings. They give me a big boost.

I am a little concerned about Elsa, who seems to have been hit hard this week with an accumulation of the past five months. She was very tired in the early part of the week, exhausted. Last night, she stayed up much later than expected, typing up a "Certificate of Authenticity" for his painting, which was longer and more complicated formatting that she expected.

I was worried that she got to bed after 12:30 a.m. This morning, she seemed okay. She said that she must not have gone to bed too upset or "stressed out" because she dreamed that someone asked her what movie couple she and John reminded her of and she answered in her dream, "Charlie Alnutt and Rosie in the _African Queen_" Well, that dream tickled her and I can understand why. Charlie and Rosie weren't a glamorous couple, but they were gallant and had grit. I agree with Elsa that those are great qualities for any husband and wife to have.

I was so bold as to add Rey Cooper to our merry little band - without asking him first. I received a wonderful note from him yesterday and he seems like such a good fit, I could not resist. Welcome to Rey!

Love to you all. Elsa needs to seriously think about getting ready for work and I am ready to roll back into bed for a little bit longer.

Have a great weekend - Kay

No comments:

Post a Comment