Monday, July 19, 2010

A RED LETTER DAY 07/12/00

Subj: A Red Letter Day
Date: 7/12/00 10:55:36 PM Eastern Daylight Time

My big news is that for the first time I turned on the CD player, turned on the CD selection, and managed to play a CD.

This might not sound like much to you, but it is a genuinely big deal to me. Electrical equipment intimidates me.

Elsa called up from B&N/Willow Grove to tell me that she and John would be stopping off for about an hour on the way home (John had used her car to go to the Franklin Mint and drove her to and from work). Not hearing any music in the background, she asked if I had the radio on. I explained that it was turned to a talk station and I could not figure out how to find the classical music station. Knowing how lonely it can be, she suggested I play one of the CDs already loaded up.

Gulp.

That meant turning it on and everything by myself. Elsa stayed on the phone and I walked over to the CD player and she talked me through turning it on and everything.

I did not get it right the first few times, but I did not get discouraged and stayed "on task," as Elsa says, and, by Jove, I did it! It might not sound like much, but it meant a lot to me.

It is way past my bedtime - am up and away.

Love - Cybergabster

reposted in sweet memory of its author, KATHARINE REYNOLDS LOCKHART, by her scribe/daughter, Elsa Lockhart Murphy aka Deev, in celebration of the 05/14 centenary of the Cybergabster's birth

No comments:

Post a Comment